Tuesday 6 December 2016

Poolside, Queensport Episode 3 is LIVE

 Ladies, gentlemen,

I'm happy to announce Poolside, the third episode in the growing collection of Queensport HTML5/Canvas games is LIVE. Play it here. It has been live for 2 weeks but I've been busy and forgot about this blog.
What can you expect?
Basically, the city of Queensport has been established as over-arching game environment in which interlinked and at times individual episodes take place. From episode 3 onward the game runs on mobile devices! A main quest has been introduced and the story will develop over time as you play more missions or episodes.
This means that the third episode also introduces the new and improved game framework. Now boasting 5 canvas layers, the colour difference between animation and background is gone. I couldn't solve the compressions difference between MPG4 and JPG that caused this problem, so I've now got a 1 frame MPG4 background with the same compression as the animations. Interestingly, this isn't a bigger file-size. On occasion (especially when I used 1600*1200 backgrounds) it's even smaller. With this framework I've also changed the database approach. Read about player data on my Wiki. There's also a pre-loader now, so after the first few images the game should load faster. I try to keep the animations small, between 2 and 3 meg each.
The fifth canvas layer allows for a consistent in-game help function where you'll be able to get additional information and clues at each stage of the game.
More information about my growing games collection can be found on the wiki mentioned above so I'll keep it at tihs.

No comments:

Post a Comment